My Access database is now over 1.9 GB and the application does not seem to work normally. Is it to be expected and, if this is the case, what can I do?
Microsoft chose to limit, by design, the size of *.mdb files to 2,048 MB (2 GB). You may get various error messages for reasons explained in this other article: Access database: I receive various 'Invalid argument' error messages when attempting to import data or run any report
1. Immediate solution:
- You can try to compact your database using the File > Compact Database option in order to retrieve some space.
- Another option is to clear old data that you may no longer need using the Tools > Purge Message Tracking Data and Tools > Purge IIS Data, see this article: How to manually purge data from your database.
- If your database is already so full that you cannot even open it with Promodag Reports, use the Compact and Repair Database option of Microsoft Access.
2. Mid-term solution: You can regularly archive your databases once they have reached about 1.9 GB, and create new ones.
3. Long-term solution: You may consider using a SQL database. You will need to upgrade your license in order to use the Enterprise edition of Promodag Reports. It supports all 32 and 64-bit editions of SQL Server 2008 to 2017.
: SQL Server Express (2008 to 2017) may be used with Promodag Reports Enterprise edition; however, database size is limited depending on the version (10 GB for SQL Server 2008/2017 Express and 4 GB for SQL Server 2008 Express).